Choosing the right pool coping & step treads is one of the most important steps for pooling and outdoor design. Pool coping & step treads provide visual appeal and texture for the area around your pool because these will be the tiles you see, walk and sit on the most. Therefore, selecting the right pool copers & step treading is important not just for your pool and outdoor design choices but you and your family’s safety as well.
APC offers a wide range of price ranges, sizes and options for pool copers & step treads to suit your pool and outdoor designing needs!
There are 2 main types of pool copers and step treads available.
- First, we have the concrete pool coper range. They are excellent value for money and there is plenty of colours, textures and sizes to choose from. Stock is usually readily accessible.
These vary in size from;
- 300 x 300 mm – the most economical choice. Good for steps, walling caps, and for sitting on. Not good for salt water pools. Full bullnose.
- 400 x 400 mm size has the widest variety of colours & textures, available in full bullnose or the new modern looking Sharknose in the Adbri Masonry Euro range. Generally good value for money & good stocks.
- 600 x 400 mm is available in a small range of products in a full bullnose. Limited colours, but popular.
- Up to 1 metre in length in a square edge or full bullnose. Also available in 800 mm wide. A good product on the top end of the market for price. Popular for capping walls, step treads & around pools.
You should be sealing all concrete pavers around salt chlorinated pools.
- The next range available is the Natural Stone range. In this range you can choose from Granite, Limestone, Bluestone, Marble and Travertine. The advantages of natural stone is that size is unlimited & it is very versatile. We can cut any size for you.
Most popular sizes in natural stone are;
- 400 x 400 mm
- 600 x 400 mm
- 600 x 300 mm
We also do corners, double sided bullnose for spas in pools & triple bullnose for pools & walling caps.
We do a half bullnose, full bullnose & an aris edge in 2 mm & up to 5 mm top & bottom.
The most fascinating & most popular is the rebated edge or ‘drop nose’. These are available in standard sizes of 600 x 300 or we can do complete table or bench tops for outdoor BBQ’s and bar tops. Whatever you think of, we can do it!
Natural stone is good for step treads, stairs, garden walls or retaining wall caps & of course pool surrounds.
The best type of stone for pools is Travertine. This is a very hard Limestone which is cool under the foot and ideal as a slip resistant paver. This kind of stone is often used & renowned world-wide for pool paving.
As far as sealing goes around salt water pools, you would not have to seal granites or marble but I would certainly seal the Travertine with strictly a natural penetrative sealer, not a surface sealer.