DIY Driveway Pavers: All the Resources You’ll Ever Need
The facade of any structure can contribute greatly to its first impression. A home with a well planned driveway not only enhances that impression, but also significantly add to its value.
The average driveway can turn into an impressive entrance to your home because of the visually attractive aesthetics of pavers. Choosing the right type of pavers is important if what you have in mind when setting up your driveway is functionality, appeal, and easy maintenance and after care.
The unique advantages of using pavers, as compared to the traditional poured concrete, are:
- Versatility and Durability – Some specific types of pavers are flexible enough that they allow for movement and may be used to effectively contribute to the drainage system of your driveway. Pavers are also four times stronger than poured concrete. They have been known to last for over 50 years. They are so durable that they can withstand freeze – thaw conditions.
- Safety – Pavers are slip-resistant, allowing for accident free walks and drives even during wet and cold weather conditions.
- Flexibility to Custom Design – Pavers are available in many colours and shapes. They may also be laid in interlocking patterns that add characteristic and increase strength.
- Easy Installation – Pavers can be installed quickly and easily without the need for heavy equipment due to their generally small size. They may also be used as soon as they are laid, as opposed to poured concrete, which requires a certain period of time for curing.
- Little to No Maintenance Needed – Damaged pavers can be easily repaired by lifting the affected area, re-grading and re-compacting the base and bedding sand, and reinstalling the same pavers. They require very little maintenance, especially if the drainage system is fit in properly. A little sweep from time to time and some regular rinsing is really what all your paved driveway needs.
The quality of your paved driveway also depends on the quality of the materials used and the standards maintained during the installation. A period of planning is required to take into account the type of soil that will be paved and the amount of traffic the driveway is expected to weather through. These will eventually determine the perfect pavers to use as well as the type of installation care to produce.